Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Fleece Hat Tutorial

I have been wondering what I can get my nieces for their birthdays and came across these fleece hat instructions.  A week or so later I ran into the cloth store for some elastic and saw some fleece on the discounted remnants bin.  I quickly grabbed it up and this is what I made.








 
 First I started with a rectangle that I cut out of fleece.  I used these standard measurements but you can also measure the head and it will be more accurate. Then you fold the right sides together and sew the long sides a 1/4 in. from the edge and then sew one of the other sides to make the top of the hat.
Then you turn up the other side up 3 inches to the inside and then turn under a 1/4 of an inch as you sew it.  DO NOT IRON FLEECE.  It will melt.  I hand sewed this but you can use the machine.  I just wanted to add a decorative hand sewn stitch.  I used embroidery floss.  (sorry I don`t have a picture of this).



 To make the pom pom you take a rectangle 10 in x 3 in and fold it in half and then cut small slits to about 1 cm to the fold.  Be sure to not cut them all the way through. Open and it should look like the picture on the right.







Roll up and tie with a string and you have a cute 
pom pom!

Sew this to the top of the hat.













 Last I added some hearts and flowers to the part of the boarder.












A nice, very quick thing to make for Christmas!

(pictures of the hats I made for my men to come)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

You did a great job! I love these! You are such a sweet Aunt to make things for your nieces. :-) They will have lots of fun wearing the hats this winter.