Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Car Birthday Cake

When Randall said he wanted to buy a car cake for Josiah for his birthday I told him I would make one.  One reason is because we try not to use sugar, colorings and all the other stuff typically in store bought cakes.  So I started searching the internet for ideas and this is what I found.


I did not use this recipe though but just the idea.  After more searching I found a yellow cake mix and then the adventure began. (Note: I doubled the cake recipe to get the 2 car cakes below as mine did not rise much.)  Please click on this link to see the recipes exactly how I made it with the changes.  It is made with honey.

After looking a lot I finally decided to make a cream cheese frosting with honey which we have done before and fold in whipped cream to make it more light and easier to work with.  I was really unsure of how this would turn out. 


I was very happy to see the frosting was easy to work with and holding up well.  I put on one thin layer and then stuck it in the freezer to harden a little.  Then came the second layer to make it look pretty.

Then the decorations.  I used a natural fruit leather cut in strips for the windows.  Raisins and dried cranberries for the lights and car door handles.  I did still use Oreo for the wheels but I think ginger snaps would be good too.

Here are the finished cakes.  Everyone loved them and though they were perfect.  The only thing was they needed more frosting!!  The cake as moist and not crumbly (the the second day it was a little dry and more crumbly).  They held their shape well and cut good.  I loved the frosting and will defiantly be making it again.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

You are amazing and the cake was so pretty and so delicious!! I will have to do this for my little boy one day.