Saturday, April 25, 2009

¡Ropa Americana!

In Costa Rica there are some stores called Ropa Americana or American Clothes. These stores sale second hand clothes from the states.



They usually buy clothes in big packs that come by boat. There are usually women's and children's and some mens. There is one store near our house that specializes in baby clothes and items.



Theses stores are know in the States as Thrift Stores. You have to go and shop and be selective to get the gently used clothes that are worth the price asked.



All most all of Josiah´s clothes have come from theses stores. Many have cost between $1 - $2 but some we have paid $3 or $4 for. These pjs for example were $2 each. The white one even has little glow in the dark puppy paw prints which I didn´t know about till we turned out the light one night.



I love this as with babies and children it is so practical to buy second hand clothes because the grow so fast. Also if you buy something and it gets a big stain while being used by a very active little boy you don´t feel so bad because you only spent a few $$ for it.

This white onesi was one of my favorites. It doen´t fit anymore so I am saving it for one of my sisters. Actually I have a whole suitcase full of clothes about 1/2 for Josiah to grow into and the other 1/2 for my sisters cuz they are just too cute to give away.

We have often found name brands like Carters, Okie Dokie, Baby Gap, Old Navy, etc.

These CD´s and toys we got from one of these stores as well.

There are not many ways that I can save money or make money here in Costa Rica but shopping at these stores really helps.

What about you? Do you shop at second hand stores?

1 comment:

Norberto Kurrle said...

Awesome finds! I wish Paraguay had coupons and thrift stores and discount retailers.... I am a bargain shopper by nature and it's not so easy being thrifty when there are no sales! When I'm in the States, I almost exclusively shop second hand.